[cups.bugs] [HIGH] STR #2344: Printing works, but pages print very slowly

Jim Petersen jpeter20 at peoplepc.com
Sat Apr 14 12:00:08 PDT 2007

[STR New]

I used to successfully run CUPS on a Debian system with a 2.4 kernel.
Since I upgraded to Debian with a 2.6 kernel (through a fresh install of
Debian), whenever I print anything to my Panasonic dot matrix printer
KX-P2023 on LPT1:, even a CUPS test page, the printing is VERY slow.  It
takes about 1 hour to print one page.  As a test, I tried installing
another printer through CUPS on the same port, an HP Deskjet 610CL, but
the same symptoms occur.  System monitoring (through xosview) shows no CPU
usage of any consequence, so I'm not sure what's happening.
/var/log/messages shows nothing unusual.

I just upgraded to the latest Debian 2.6.18 kernel, but no difference.  I
also tried installing a new OS in a separate partition, Ubuntu "Edgy" 6.10
on the same machine (which has Linux Kernel 2.6.17), and printing a test
page in CUPS (through the KDE interface utility that communicates with
CUPS) shows the same slow printing effect.

The machine in question is a Dell Dimension 4550 with a 2.4 GHz Pentium 4.

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L2344
Version: 1.2.7