[cups.general] Printer drop-down list in print dialog box

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sat Aug 4 09:43:13 PDT 2007

Ubuntu Feisty amd64

I have seven printers installed in CUPS. In all my applications the print dialog window shows a drop-down box with all the installed printers, except Adobe Reader. I recently discovered a debugging trick from Adobe - a command to enter before launching Reader, which will then echo messages to the terminal. After entering the command, when I clicked on File > Print I got the following:

.../../../../../Acrobat/Viewer/Unix/App/src/AdbeCupsFunctions.cpp: 54 dlerror - libcups.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
.../../../../../Acrobat/Viewer/Unix/App/src/AVPrintDialog.cpp: 4963  print_dialog_create - no printers found

After seeing the above output I did:

jjj at Devil5:$ locate libcups.so
/usr/lib/libcups.so.2

So then I decided to make a copy as libcups.so:

jjj at Devil5:$ sudo cp /usr/lib/libcups.so.2 /usr/lib/libcups.so

But it didn't make any difference.

I note that, from reports of other users, Reader does display the list of printers in the drop-down box under 32-bit Ubuntu. The problem is only in 64-bit Ubuntu. And it's not just Feisty, because I have had the same problem since Dapper. So my question is, what file do applications look in for the list of printers installed in CUPS, and where is that file supposed to live? Where does it live on 32-bit Ubuntu?