[cups.general] Cups won't print after adding printers

Larry Alkoff labradley at mindspring.com
Wed Aug 8 07:13:44 PDT 2007

My Deskjet 500 printer under Cups was formerly working using lpr/lp.
My only concern was that the letters were 'thin' and not very black.

I added the HPLIP and CUPS-pdf printers using the Cups GUI trying to get
better font quality,
However, now _all_ the printers repeatedly overprint on the same line,
leaving a large black blob of a single line.

The printers listed under the Printers gui page are:
HP DeskJet 500 Foomatic/pcl3 (recommended)  The original working printer
HP DesignJet 500 Foomatic/chp2200 (recommended)
HP DeskJet 500 Foomatic/hpijs

I removed the last two (the ones I had added) and the printing is still
a single line of blob.  I am about the delete the original printer which
worked and start from scratch.

I'd appreciate some ideas to troubleshoot these.
I already cancelled all jobs and recycled the Deskjet power.

Is there some kind of interaction between printers that are the same but
with different drivers?

Larry
--
Larry Alkoff N2LA - Austin TX