[cups.general] Specify the ppd-file in printers.conf

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Wed Aug 8 15:10:41 PDT 2007

Helge Blischke wrote:

>> You have to put one copy of the PPD file for each printer into the
>> /etc/cups/ppd/ directory, and the name of the PPD file must be like
>> the printer name, plus the '.ppd' suffix.
>>
>> You can *try* to work with symlinks of the same name. I've never
>> tested this... but you are not allowed to complain if it doesn't
>> work, or works only with faults.
> No, you *must* *not* use symlinks, as the printername.ppd file gets
> modified if you change the PPD defaults, such as the default page size etc.

Actually, that was *one* of the potential faults I had in mind. But
*that* is not yet a sufficient reason to forbid this experiment, since
it may not be important to the case (some people have the same unchanged
PPD for years).

--
Kurt Pfeifle
System & Network Printing Consultant ---- Linux/Unix/Windows/Samba/CUPS