[cups.general] Cups installed, but printing through lpd possible?

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Fri Aug 10 06:27:59 PDT 2007

Hello,

On Aug 10 05:21 Kurt Pfeifle wrote (shortened):
> Because very likely, your OS will not allow you to install the LPR/LPD
> daemon software at the same time as CUPS. It conflicts.

There is a RPM conflict because of same file names like /usr/bin/lpr
/usr/bin/lpq and several others. As far as I remember the conflicting
files are only such binaries.

> Even if you can install it (a la Debians "alternatives" system), you'll
> not be able to *use* them both at the same time for different print
> queues.

When one ignores the RPM conflict and does a manual careful
install sequence with moving conflicting files appropriately
and disable in CUPS to write /etc/printcap (and of course
have no cups-lpd running) and perhaps this or that additional
little config stuff, then it is possible to let LPRng listen
on port 515 and CUPS on port 631.

It was a longer time ago when I tried it and at that time it worked.
I never tested it again. Perhaps nowadays there are non-solvable
additional conflicts.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex