printconf-tui vs printers.conf - different information

lefty.crupps mnlinux at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 12:42:50 PDT 2007

hello!  can anyone tell me why some printers appear in /etc/printcap and /etc/cups/printers.conf but DON'T appear in printconf-tui ??  These would be printers I added to a CentOS 4.4 system with the lpadmin tool...

You can read a bit more of my unsolved ordeal here:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?t=570458

but basically we need a way to add a printer without interaction, with a single-line command.  This is working for the most part:
lpadmin -p success -v /var/isd/SER-A07/printdata -P /usr/share/cups/model/textonly.ppd -E

except:
1.  that PPD file, I was told, shouldn't exist (but it does, but its not working for Text Only anyway)
2.  The printers don't show up in printconf-tui for further maintenance or deletion in the future...

Thank you for any help or feedback,

lefty.crupps