[cups.general] CUPS and Vista

Martin Drab drab at kepler.fjfi.cvut.cz
Mon Aug 13 14:09:43 PDT 2007

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007, Helge Blischke wrote:

> Michael Sweet wrote:
> > Helge Blischke wrote:
> >
> >> Does anyone know if/when an analogon to the CUPS6
> >> driver stuff for XP/2000/2003 will be available for Vista?
> >

> > Unless somebody steps up to write it, not soon.  We're still working
> > on 64-bit XP drivers... :(
> >
> > That said, adding support for the existing Vista PostScript driver
> > *should* be feasible in the near term - we just need to update the
> > Samba export stuff accordingly.
> >
> > Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of Vista loaded on any of my
> > systems, so I don't have the resources to do this work myself.
> >
> > I assume that the XP printer drivers are not compatible with Vista?
>
> ... at least the default Vista installation nowhere contains
> the PSCRIPT... files so that even a set up with .INF files which
> works for XP,2000,2003 fails on Vista. It seems Vista (as preinstalled
> on newly bought PCs) only supports XPS, nothing of PostScript.

I guess it would be the UNIDRV.DLL, UNIRES.DLL, unidrv.hlp and
unidrvui.dll that are in the "Windows/System32/spool/drivers/x64/3/"
directory on the Vista NTFS partition. Though, these files (in fact the
entire spool directory) don't seem to be accessible directly from within
Vista. But if you take a look at the partition from Linux, you'll find the
files there. I am not sure, but I guess they support PostScript, since
they are the obvious replacement and word PostScript is mentioned several
times whithin them. But the name is different, and I don't know if they
would work the same way as the old drivers in XP's did.

But making CUPS cooperating with Vistas would be a nice thing to have.

Martin