authentication to shared printer

Amy Tanner amy.tanner at netaspx.com
Wed Aug 15 09:06:56 PDT 2007

I have a printer directly connected to a Windows machine.  When we try test print to it from the cups print server, there's an error message on the Windows machine something like 'cupsadmin invalid username/password'.  (The printer is at a remote location that I don't have access to.) Our cups print server is setup with Basic authentication and the cupsadmin account is in the passwd.md5 file.  However, I thought that only controlled authentication to the cups print server and would not be related to printing to the remote printer.  I did test by removing Basic Authentication and moving the passwd.md5 file out of the way.  The error in the cups error.log is:

Remote host did not accept data file (1)

Pertinent details:

cups 1.1.23
SuSE Enterprise Server 10

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.