Question on use of Class

angelb angelb at bugarin.us
Thu Aug 16 12:06:21 PDT 2007

Hello all.

I'm almost certain Class in CUPS is not designed for this...but I'll
ask anyway. If I understand Classes correctly, its primary function is
to group printer queues, clients print to the class, and job is
printed by the next available printer in the Class....but I'm not sure
if this is accurate or it could be used for other things. I've just
started looking at the Classes feature so I could be wrong with my
notion.

Can Class be used to specify what available printer(s) a specific cups
client system can poll or see from the server? In other words, if I
create classX, can I configure the client such that it only see the
printers in the classX and not everything else?

If Class is not the right tool for the above situation, is there any
function or configuration in CUPS can?

Observation:

The list of members listed from the Classes tab is limited to 2410
characters. Out of 515 ques, it only shows 482 comma-delimited que
names. My printer queue names are 4 characters long and if you add the
commas, that would make 2410 characters.

2410 / 5(que name + comma) = 515

If you have other classes with less printer que, you'll have to scroll
almost half-way across the window to see the members.

IMHO, the members field should be set to a maximum of 118 characters(a
reasonable number of printer queues listed with the window maximized)
and a "Show Next" tab to list the next set of printers.

Lastly, when sending a print job to a class, there is no indication as
to which printer printed the job. So, if you have 20 printers in one
ocation and they belong in LOCATION_Class, for example, you'll have to
go to each printers to check for the printout.

cupsserver1]# tail user_log|lpr -P ricoh_class
cupsserver1]#

It would be nice if there's a message of sort, "Job BLAH printed
successfully by FOO" returned after the job has been printed
successfully. Is there already a fix or solution for this that I
missed?

Sorry for this long post! :)

Thanks,
Angel