How are fonts rendered in cups?

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Fri Aug 17 09:43:56 PDT 2007

Josh Dukes wrote:
> Ok, I see there's a FontPath directive, like the one for X (unlike X
> it's not set), but the default path contains almost no fonts. So I'm
> wondering, how does cups render fonts? What's the flow?

In the Linux world, Ghostscript handles rendering of fonts for non-
PS printers.  On Mac OS X, cgpdftoraster does the heavy lifting.

The default font path includes only those fonts needed for printing
text files as produced by the texttops filter.  Ghostscript and
cgpdftoraster add their own fonts/directories, and of course use
embedded fonts where available.  Embedded fonts are generally the
way to go since you remove the "is the font installed" variable.