[cups.general] Applications cant find cups

Gary L. Roach garyroach at verizon.net
Fri Aug 17 12:18:01 PDT 2007

I have a linux box on a small mixed network. The printer is an HP940cxi on
a Win2K box on the network. I have samba installed with cups on the linux
box. None of the applications on the linux box can find the printer, yet I
can print a test page from the cup manager with no problem. The other Win2K
box on the network accesses the printer fine. File sharing between the
nodes works fine.

This setup should be a nobrainer but I have been fighting this problem for
at least 6 months. Any help will be appreciated.

The software that can't find cups is Openoffice, gimp, iceweazle. These
packages just do nothing when print is called. Kdevelop on the other hand
returns an error message 'an error occurred while retrieving the printer
list" "blah blah blah connection refused"

Gary719