[cups.general] Cups won't print after adding printers

Tux Sun tuxsun1 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 15:23:39 PDT 2007

Larry Alkoff wrote:
> My Deskjet 500 printer under Cups was formerly working using lpr/lp.
> My only concern was that the letters were 'thin' and not very black.
>
> I added the HPLIP and CUPS-pdf printers using the Cups GUI trying to get
> better font quality,
> However, now _all_ the printers repeatedly overprint on the same line,
> leaving a large black blob of a single line.
>
> The printers listed under the Printers gui page are:
> HP DeskJet 500 Foomatic/pcl3 (recommended)  The original working printer
> HP DesignJet 500 Foomatic/chp2200 (recommended)
> HP DeskJet 500 Foomatic/hpijs
>
> I removed the last two (the ones I had added) and the printing is still
> a single line of blob.  I am about the delete the original printer which
> worked and start from scratch.
>
> I'd appreciate some ideas to troubleshoot these.
> I already cancelled all jobs and recycled the Deskjet power.
>
> Is there some kind of interaction between printers that are the same but
> with different drivers?
>
> Larry

I'm pretty sure you need to replace (by backing up to a diff location
and making the appropriate config file changes, or use the rpm tool to
remove) the old lp/lpr print system and replace it with CUPS. I say this
because I had to do something similar when I installed CUPS on Sun
Solaris 9 UNIX system.

I have some links for you. You can find more info if you Google on
"replace lpr with cups".

http://home.swbell.net/berzerke/printing.html
Look under, "Installing CUPS" and see the section, "RPM installs".
There he tells you how to remove the lp print commands.

Alternatively, you can backup the lp commands and then replace them with
softlinks to the equivalent CUPS commands. While these instructions are
for Solaris UNIX, this should give you an idea of what needs to be done
and how to do it.
http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/content/submitted/install_cups.html

Hope this helps!

John