[cups.general] Down / Busy / Unreachable

Brad C bradc at dcdata.co.za
Mon Aug 20 01:18:47 PDT 2007

Hi guys,

One of my clients have got quite a strange problem

They running SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 (i586)

The problem is that two of their printers seem to randomly stop working.

If they reboot the PC that the printer is connected to, the printer does
not start working again once the PC comes back up, even if they leave
the PC on, after a few days without any reboots the printer suddenly
stops working, and nothing seems to work to get it back online again.

The only thing that gets it working again, is to re-install the Windows
components on the PC that the printer is shared on, once done, then the
printer starts working again.

They have tried using another printer(same make/model) they have tried
connecting the printer to another PC and sharing it again, but none of
these have made any difference.

They have roughly 30 printers in total and it's only two printers that
seem to have this problem.

When I look at the printer through the CUPS interface, I see the following.

  GCPA07                   Local Raw Printer
   Location: CPT
   Printer State: stopped, accepting jobs.
   "Network host '10.2.3.100' is busy, down, or unreachable; will retry
in 30 seconds..."
   Device URI: lpd://10.2.3.100/GCPA07

I can ping this IP address and connect to the PC using smbclient, so
it's definitely not unreachable.

If anyone has an idea please let me know, as I'm really baffled.

Thanks.

Neil

--

Brad C
CCNA
support at dcdata.co.za
[Open Ideas, Open Possibilities - Open Source]

http://www.dcdata.co.za/emaildisclaimer.html