[cups.general] What does "RAW" means for a queue?

Ciprian Marius Vizitiu cvizitiu at gbif.org
Mon Aug 20 12:46:02 PDT 2007

> > Can someone please give me a short explanation for what is "RAW"
> > supposed to mean when selecting a "Model/Driver" for a
> given queue? As opposed to say...
> > "Postscript" or "HP"?
>
> Raw means unfiltered.  The data is sent unchanged to the
> printer directly.

Hi Michael,

Still I'm confused. My Windows driver outputs invalid PostScript... Only the
Gods in Redmond know why. Fact is, sending this to a CUPS RAW queue makes
CUPS choke badly... Sometimes only the first page comes out of the printer
in other situations no page at atll... Have to restart CUPS to get it back
on its feet. Feeding that PostScript directly to the printer works
perfectly. Doesn't this contradict what you just wrote? :-/ CUPS shouldn't
care at all about what's inside the blob since it's a RAW queue but somehow
it still does. Can I errr... "enforce" the queue to be RAW?

PS. Thanks for your time. :-)