making BrowsePoll work

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Mon Aug 20 15:37:42 PDT 2007

Rex Dieter wrote:
> I've got a CentOS5 machine acting as a cups_server.  What'd I'd like to
> be able to do is configure all of our client machines in their cupsd.conf's:

First a question: why is that?

Usually, it is only in rather rare conditions that polling the server from
each client is better than active browse broadcasting by the server itself.

And if you have a large number of clients, you'll definitely see a performance
degradation on the server (plus additional network traffic for each polling
client).

If it is because of different subnets of clients, you should consider letting
only a few of the clients poll in each subnet, and then "browse relay" the
polled printers to the other clients in the same subnet.

> BrowsePoll cups_server
>
> I can't find any incarnation of 'BrowseAllow' that makes this work.

(BrowseAllow is a setting for clients; it tells their cupsd which servers'
browse broadcast packages to accept to build the list of locally available
printers from...)

If you poll the server from a client, you need to make sure that the server
actually does allow that specific client (or a group of that contains that
client), and that it does indeed share the printer.

Check if '<Location />' and '<Location /printers> or not restricted for the
polling client.

> Clients (on different subnets) fail with error logged:
> [cups-polld cups_server:631] CUPS-Get-Printers failed: Forbidden
>
> I even tried some black magic on cups_server's cupsd.conf:
> <Policy default>
> ..
>  <Limit CUPS-Get-Printers>
>     Order deny,allow
>     Allow all
>   </Limit>
> </Policy>
>
> but that didn't help either.

You failed to state the exact version of your CUPS....

Which is the setting of "DefaultAuthType" (if you use CUPS 1.3.x) ?

--
Kurt Pfeifle
System & Network Printing Consultant ---- Linux/Unix/Windows/Samba/CUPS