[cups.general] Moving a working Suse Linux CUPS PC to a new subnet IP address

Klaus Singvogel kssingvo at suse.de
Tue Aug 21 06:21:34 PDT 2007

Paul McIlfatrick wrote:
> A few days ago I posted to this newsgroup about not being able to
> access the http://printhost:631/ CUPS admin pages after we had moved
> our fully working Suse Linux PC to a new subnet IP address. Printing
> worked fine after the move.
>
> Today, I moved the PC back to its old IP address. We are again able
> to access the http://printhost:631/ CUPS admin pages and printing
> works!
>

> Our Suse Linux CUPS PC must be moved to the new subnet.

In general this should be no problem.

> Does anyone know what needs to be modified so that after the change
> of IP address for a CUPS PC the http://printhost:631/ CUPS admin
> pages are accessible?

Assuming that "printhost" is the valid name of the new network
location. I think, it's unneccersary to say, that using the old
network name (of old ip adress) is an useless attempt. :-)

I see two issues at the moment:
a) your network address (= ip address) changes after (!) start of cups
   daemon.
   Solution:
   - don't do that. :) Either configure correct adress into your
     system, e.g. edit /etc/hosts
   - or re-start cups after new network configuration, do as root
     on a command line shell: /etc/init.d/cups restart
b) your cups configuration (file: /etc/cups/cupsd.conf) contains
   values of old subnet. Change the file appropriate.

but maybe there is possibility of a third?

> Is this a CUPS issue or could it possibly be something to do with
> Apache 2?

No, not apache2. It's only cups and network configuration.

Regards,
	Klaus.
--
Klaus Singvogel