Moving a working Suse Linux CUPS PC to a new subnet IP address

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Tue Aug 21 07:15:28 PDT 2007

Paul McIlfatrick wrote:

> A few days ago I posted to this newsgroup about not being able to access
> the http://printhost:631/ CUPS admin pages after we had moved our fully
> working Suse Linux PC to a new subnet IP address. Printing worked fine
> after the move.
>
> Today, I moved the PC back to its old IP address. We are again able to
> access the http://printhost:631/ CUPS admin pages and printing works!
>

> Our Suse Linux CUPS PC must be moved to the new subnet.
>

> Does anyone know what needs to be modified so that after the change of
> IP address for a CUPS PC the http://printhost:631/ CUPS admin pages are
> accessible?

Look, you didn't supply any details about your configuration (current
addresses and netmasks of CUPS server and CUPS clients; same info for
both, but after the move?; current cupsd.conf settings?), so it is a
*little* bit unreasonable to come up with specific configuration change
suggestions for you....

And telling you just to "adapt your cupsd.conf files to the new si-
tuation" would be the generic answer to your generic question (and
wouldn't help you either, would it?)....

Are you saying that the CUPS server and clients currently are in the
same subnet, and only the server will move away, leaving the clients
behind?

> Is this a CUPS issue or could it possibly be something to do with
> Apache 2?

CUPS doesn't use Apache at all; it has its own special web server em-
bedded (so if you do not need Apache for other purposes, you may as
well remove it...)

--
Kurt Pfeifle
System & Network Printing Consultant ---- Linux/Unix/Windows/Samba/CUPS