[cups.general] What does "RAW" means for a queue?

Ciprian Marius Vizitiu cvizitiu at gbif.org
Tue Aug 21 08:20:51 PDT 2007

>   (a) remove "printing = cups" and "printcap = cups" from smb.conf.
>       This will cause Samba to now require and use the "*
> command = ..."
>       set of options.
>
>   (b) insert "printing = bsd", and also define all the commands to be
>       used by Samba to pass the job to CUPS. For example:
>
>          print command = "lp -d %p -t %J -o raw %f; \
>                           rm %s; \
>                           echo $(date): Printed and deleted
> jobfile %s submitted by %U from %m >> /tmp/smbprint.log"
>

>       See 'man smb.conf' for details...
>
> The trick here is to explicitely pass on "-o raw" in the
> print command to see if this overrides or works around a
> potential bug in your Samba version....

Good hint Kurt! Instead of removing I've simply added them on that specific
printer queue; I've also dropped the "rm %s" part so now I have the output
from Samba. Using the output from Samba I did several attempts with the lp
command, it's not Samba's fault on this particular one, looks like a CUPS
problem! I mean I can't see absolutely no reason for which the output of
Samba (which was coming from the Windows PS driver!) should not pass through
CUPS to the printer with the following command:

lp -d LXMRK2 -t Kagan -o raw /var/spool/lpd/LXMRK/smbprn.00003123.poiZZ

Yet 1.1.17 outpus it without any problem(s) but 1.1.22 doesn't.