[cups.general] Printing to CUPS 1.3 from Windows Server 2003

Michael R Sweet msweet at apple.com
Tue Aug 21 14:58:20 PDT 2007

John A. Murdie wrote:
> Is there no other way for a Windows Server 2003 to print to a CUPS
> server so that the printers are publishable (by the normal Windows
> mechanism) to the Windows XP clients? We'd really like to use IPP
> everywhere, and leave Berkeley LPR to history. Is there any 'how to'
> documentation available discussing this whole area?

I'm not aware of any how-to for this, or why IPP queues would be
any different (I've certainly heard of people pushing IPP queues).

Unfortunately, since Microsoft stopped implementing IPP at v1.0,
you have to use URLs like "http://server:631/printers/printername"
instead of the usual ipp: URIs.

> Has the introduction of CUPS 1.3 (with Kerberos, LDAP etc) altered
> the situation with respect to printing from a Windows Server to CUPS
> at all?

The only difference is that now you can authenticate using Kerberos
(aka ActiveDirectory) and have a common place for user accounts.