Printing to CUPS 1.3 from Windows Server 2003

John A. Murdie john at cs.york.ac.uk
Wed Aug 22 03:29:39 PDT 2007

> John A. Murdie wrote:
> > Is there no other way for a Windows Server 2003 to print to a CUPS
> > server so that the printers are publishable (by the normal Windows
> > mechanism) to the Windows XP clients? We'd really like to use IPP
> > everywhere, and leave Berkeley LPR to history. Is there any 'how to'
> > documentation available discussing this whole area?
>
> I'm not aware of any how-to for this, or why IPP queues would be
> any different (I've certainly heard of people pushing IPP queues).

No, not being a Windows administrator, I'm not sure why they are different, either, but the Windows people here tell me that they can't publish IPP queues on a Windows Server 2003 system to its XP clients, so that they don't consider printing to a Unix-hosted CUPS server an option, by this means at least. They can publish Berkeley LPR queues with the assistance of Windows Print Services for Unix, so I'm wondering whether using (a locked-down!) instance of cups-lpd on our Unix CUPS server is the only way to go.

> > Has the introduction of CUPS 1.3 (with Kerberos, LDAP etc) altered
> > the situation with respect to printing from a Windows Server to CUPS
> > at all?
>
> The only difference is that now you can authenticate using Kerberos
> (aka ActiveDirectory) and have a common place for user accounts.

Yes, that is proving to be convenient. Thank you for that.

John A. Murdie