date format on lpstat output

Amy Tanner amy.tanner at netaspx.com
Thu Aug 23 08:53:44 PDT 2007

> Amy Tanner wrote:
>
> > I'm having a problem with a cron job I'm running.  I narrowed it down
> > to the fact that when I run lpstat -o as root, the date/time column
> > is in a different format than when the job is run from cron.
>
> Which are the two formats?
>
> Can you post examples?

When run as me:

printer7-9     atanner          15360   Tue 19 Jun 2007 03:07:48 PM CDT

When run as root:

printer7-9     atanner          15360   Tue Jun 19 15:07:48 2007

> Which is the output of your "locale" command?
>
> Is it different for a user and for root?

Yes it is:

me:

$ locale
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

root:
# locale
LANG=POSIX
LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8
LC_NUMERIC="POSIX"
LC_TIME="POSIX"
LC_COLLATE="POSIX"
LC_MONETARY="POSIX"
LC_MESSAGES="POSIX"
LC_PAPER="POSIX"
LC_NAME="POSIX"
LC_ADDRESS="POSIX"
LC_TELEPHONE="POSIX"
LC_MEASUREMENT="POSIX"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="POSIX"
LC_ALL=

> Which is the user that your cron job script is running as?

runs as root

> > Is there
> > some environment variable lpstat is using to determine in which format
> > to output that date/time column.
>
> You can experiment with setting the LANG, LC_TIME and/or LC_ALL env
> variables on the commandline:
>
>  LC_TIME="C"           lpstat -W completed | tail
>  LC_TIME="en_US"       lpstat -W completed | tail
>  LC_TIME="de_DE.UTF-8" lpstat -W completed | tail
>  [....]
>
> Once you find the output that you like, put that variable into your
> cron job script.

Yes, that worked.  I figured there was something like that causing it, but I just couldn't find it.  Thanks for helping me solve this mystery.