[cups.general] cannot print to network printer

Phil af.gourmet at videotron.ca
Thu Aug 23 09:53:06 PDT 2007

I am using FreeBSD 6.2, cups-base-1.2.12. I have set up cups and tested
the printer. It works from swat. But I have not been able to print from
OpenOffice.org.-2.2.1 or from Gimp. I have read the documentation and
searched the Web. lpstat -p -d does show the printer as idle and enabled
since ...
What am I missing here? Is there a magic command to pass with lp or lpr
or am I supposed to install some other program. As I recall it, I was
able to set things up to work in a previous installation but the printer
may have been attached to an usb port. The printer is a Xerox Phaser
8200DP and the ppd file obviously works. I am not sure, but it seems to
me that there should not be a need for other applications like
gutenprint or ghostscript as those, I believe, are only a set of drivers
(which, incidentally, do not include one for the Phaser 8200).
I did notice that quite a few people seem to be having problems printing
from OpenOffice, Gimp and other applications.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Phil