Moving a working Suse Linux CUPS PC to a newsubnet IP address

Paul McIlfatrick paul.mcilfatrick at bt.com
Fri Aug 24 06:30:38 PDT 2007

> > Is there any problem with what I added?
>
> Don't see any, should work.
>
> Then have a closer look at your logfiles: /var/log/cups/error_log
> and /var/log/cups/access_log
>
> As Johannes already suggested, the documents
> 	http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:CUPS_in_a_Nutshell
> and
> http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Printer_Configuration_from_SUSE_LINUX_9.0_on
> are wonderful ressources to get in first contact with CUPS
> configuration.

Printed off and read both documents but it hasn't helped me much as I am very much a part-time admin of this machine.

I have now experimented with various changes to the /etc/cups/cupsd.conf file.

First I commented out the 'Port 631' line and stopped Cups but it wouldn't start until I uncommented the line.

Next, I commented out all @LOCAL and it didn't make any difference.

I am still able to access the http://printhost:631/ CUPS admin page from my PC which is on the same 10.230.199.x subnet as the CUPS PC but the Windows server on the 10.230.189.x subnet still gets the '403 Forbidden' message.

Here is my current cupsd.conf file:

ServerName printhost.bfsec.bt.co.uk
ServerAdmin services at bfsec.bt.co.uk
# Show troubleshooting information in error_log.
LogLevel debug
Printcap /etc/cups/printcap
User lp
Group lp
##RunAsUser Yes ## No longer supported in CUPS 1.2.x
# Allow remote access
Port 631
# Show shared printers on the local network.
Browsing On
BrowseOrder allow,deny
#BrowseAllow @LOCAL
<Location />
  # Allow remote administration...
  Order allow,deny
# Allow @LOCAL
</Location>
<Location /admin>
  AuthType BasicDigest
  AuthClass Group
  AuthGroupName sys
  # Allow remote administration...
  Order allow,deny
# Allow @LOCAL
</Location>
# Allow remote access to the configuration files...
<Location /admin/conf>
  AuthType Basic
  Require user @SYSTEM
  Order allow,deny
# Allow @LOCAL
</Location>
<Policy default>
  # Job-related operations must be done by the owner or an adminstrator...
  <Limit Send-Document Send-URI Hold-Job Release-Job Restart-Job Purge-Jobs Set-Job-Attributes Create-Job-Subscription Renew-Subscri
ption Cancel-Subscription Get-Notifications Reprocess-Job Cancel-Current-Job Suspend-Current-Job Resume-Job CUPS-Move-Job>
    Require user @OWNER @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>
  # All administration operations require an adminstrator to authenticate...
  <Limit Pause-Printer Resume-Printer Set-Printer-Attributes Enable-Printer Disable-Printer Pause-Printer-After-Current-Job Hold-New
-Jobs Release-Held-New-Jobs Deactivate-Printer Activate-Printer Restart-Printer Shutdown-Printer Startup-Printer Promote-Job Schedul
e-Job-After CUPS-Add-Printer CUPS-Delete-Printer CUPS-Add-Class CUPS-Delete-Class CUPS-Accept-Jobs CUPS-Reject-Jobs CUPS-Set-Default
 CUPS-Add-Device CUPS-Delete-Device>
    AuthType Basic
    Require user @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow
</Limit>
  <Limit All>
  Order deny,allow
  </Limit>
</Policy>

BTW the PC is running SuSE Linux is 9.0 and CUPS 1.2rc2

Anything else that I can try?

Thanks

Paul McIlfatrick