Printer

David Buck davebuck at eastlink.ca
Tue Aug 28 06:17:33 PDT 2007

My CPU is: IBM300PL
My OS is: Linux - etch - kernel - 2.6.18-4-686
My printer is: Brother HL2040

Problem:
   I have installed the correct printer driver and cups wrapper in accordance with the instructions on the 'Brother Solutions Center' website.
   I then went to http://localhost:631 and went to 'Manage Printers'
and confirmed that the device name is listed and everything looks in order, e.g. Make & Model: Brother HL2040 for cups
            Printer State: idle,accepting jobs, published
            Device URI: parallel:/dev/lp0
I have set the printer to be the default printer, I have added my name to allowed users.
When I try to print a test page I get the following message:
'parallel port busy, will try again in 30 seconds ....
I have nothing else using port lp0 and I get the same message when I try to print from within other programs.

I've been strugling with this for several days now! anyone have a solution to my problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

buck