USB not supported by CUPS?

Ondrej Jombik nepto at platon.sk
Thu Aug 30 14:30:56 PDT 2007

> That said, CUPS *does* support standard USB printer interfaces on
> most OS's as long as the underlying character device or kernel
> interface is configured.

Michal, Thank you for your answer.

Please accept my apologize, if you find my previous post a little bit ironic. That was how I expressed my frustration from the software.

It is great that CUPS disabled "USB" option, since no USB was provided by underlying Linux kernel. However from the dialog I get, I was not able to recognize, if USB is not supported by CUPS generally, or it was disabled just in my particular case (what was exactly what happened).

You need to tell user, that some options was disabled, simply because they have no meaning: ``Dude, you don't have USB drivers installed, so how you would like to run USB printer, ha?!''

I found one ESR story about CUPS. It looks like, he pointed on the same issue several years ago. I think he is some authority in Open Source world. My opinion could not be important, but his definitely is.