USB not supported by CUPS?

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Thu Aug 30 16:36:52 PDT 2007

Ondrej Jombik wrote:

> I found one ESR story about CUPS. It looks like, he pointed on the
> same issue several years ago.

No, it was a different issue.

He insisted to use a distro-specific tool (called redhat-print-manager,
or somthing like that) to configure CUPS and his printers. He didn't
use CUPS at all for the print setup. The distro-tool failed to confi-
gure CUPS, and he started a rant against CUPS and CUPS developers.

(Mike was only nice and polite enough to take the opportunity and con-
fess to a few weaknesses that were/are still in CUPS, independent of
ESR's issue of the day.)

> I think he is some authority in Open
> Source world.

He is a clown now (maybe always was). And a bad one. And one who has
the additional mistake to think he is the 2nd-biggest authority in
the Open Source world, sitting to the right of Linus (who foully does
show him the cold shoulder...)

(My personal opinion strictly, and maybe a not-so-humble one....)

> My opinion could not be important, but his definitely
> is.

Your opinion is more important to me than ESR's.

Cheers,

--
Kurt Pfeifle
System & Network Printing Consultant ---- Linux/Unix/Windows/Samba/CUPS