LPD Options not passed to backend script!

ciaran fox_tubpvc at trashmail.net
Fri Aug 31 00:38:39 PDT 2007

> > If I do a local print with an option, my script receives the options.
> > For example I execute "lp -dCAT -o ZZZZZZ testprint.txt"
> > my script receives the parameter-list:
> >     88 cde testprint.txt 1 ZZZZZZ /var/spool/cups/d00088-001
> > However when I use LPD remote printing from another Unix
> > (or with a simple loopback LPD printer declaration) my
> > script receives
> >     90 cde testprint_txt 1 document-name=testprint_txt /var/spool/cups/d00090-001
>
> The LPD protocol does not support options.

That's strange, it works on other platforms.
However most other printer subsystems don't USE options,
but they do allow them to be transmitted. I see that
CUPS has a rich set of "known" options, I supposed that
it was getting confused with my non-standard options.

I can send parameters in the "Class", for example
with "lpr" on a windows system. But the = and . get
transformed to _
For example if I send
   lpr -P RCAT -C me=you testprint.txt
I receive
   93 cde me_you 1 document-name=me_you /var/spool/cups/d00093-001

Ciaran