Problem with USB printer

Bill Marr billm at tharo.com
Thu Aug 30 13:39:44 PDT 2007

> Bill Marr wrote:
> > Hello everyone.
> >
> >  I am a developer trying to get my employer's line of printers working with Apple Macs. I've had partial success, and have come to a dead-end, and hope I can get some help here.
>  > ...
>
> Bill,
>
> Probably the best place to start is on Apple's printing developer
> list at:
>
>      http://lists.apple.com
>
>  From there you should be able to get setup with Apple directly...
>
> --
> Michael R Sweet                        Senior Printing System Engineer

Thanks for the response Michael  :)

   I posted the exact same message on the Apple Discussion Forums also, and somebody there mentioned the Apple mailing lists too, so I went ahead and signed up for it. I posted here too in the hopes that somebody might see this and have some possible pointers for me; what I think might be happening is that Apple's or CUPS' USB system might have been more lax about strict USB hardware interfacing on 10.3, and then it was stricter in 10.4, but then the the 1.2.7 version of CUPS was lax again - not really sure. I do know that our printers were not setting the iSerial value in the USB descriptors in their firmware, and would not work on my MacBook Pro until we had the firmware writers fix that several months ago, and then bam - it worked, so that's why I keep thinking that's there's something with the firmware in our printers regarding the USB implementation...

   Anyway, thanks again, and take care

      Bill