Call a GUI application from cups filter while printing

Debashis dpanda at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 14:46:08 PST 2007

Hi,
I am trying to pop up a dialog window where the user can enter a passcode to validate his job for Job accounting purposes on Ubuntu Linux OS.
I know that cups calls your filter if you specify the name in the PPD file, but will it be possible to call a GUI application (For example: created using QT) from the filter, accept the users input and then continue with the printing by writing the data to the stdout.

In MacOS we use custom PDE for this purpose, but how do we do it in Linux. Any suggestion will be very much appreciated.

Thanks