Zero Sized Temp Files Not Being Deleted

Aaron Shaw none at none.com
Fri Dec 7 12:19:36 PST 2007

I've got a program that uses an 'lp' command to send jobs to printers. The program opens the channel to the printer, holds it open, then closes the channel. This is how the program locks/reserves the printer, so no other uses can access it (we're doing check printing). No data is sent to the printer besides an open and close. I get a null/empty file in the /var/tmp/ which isn't deleted when the channel is closed (when job prints).

If I send a single character to the open printer, my /var/tmp/ file is no longer 0 bytes, and is automatically deleted when the job is printed.

I didn't know if CUPS required temp. files to be greater then 0, when they are cleared from temp. directory. Ideally, I'd like to have these 0 byte files removed automatically when the printer is closed.

Thanks--