HP LaserJet M4345

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Wed Dec 12 04:56:24 PST 2007

Udo Hortian wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We have the HP LaserJet M4345 here. And I tried to print on it.
>
> As far as I know one can use a socket:// URL with port 9100 to access the printer.
> I used a tool of gnome to configure the printer and got a hp:// URL (I suppose this has something to do with hpijs?). A nnap run on the printer gave me the following:
>
> 21/tcp   open  ftp
> 23/tcp   open  telnet
> 80/tcp   open  http
> 280/tcp  open  http-mgmt
> 443/tcp  open  https
> 515/tcp  open  printer
> 631/tcp  open  ipp
> 9100/tcp open  jetdirect
>
> Because of port 515, I suppose lpd is possible too. And because of port 631 I guess that I could also use ipp?!
>
> So the first question is: Which method to use to access the printer?
>

> Then there are at least two major drivers: hpijs and simply PostScript.
> Which of them should I use? I don't want to do scanning or faxing. But I would like to do printing in the different ways (long/short-edge two-sided printing, ...).
>
> Thank you for any help!
> Udo.

 From my experience with a lot of HP printers over the years,
I'd suggest to
- use the socket backend (port 9100), as it seems the one
   most reliable. I don't trust the IPP implementations by
   printer vendors (HP, Xerox and others) too much.
- use the PostScript PPD unless you want to do printer
   maintenance by print jobs (which would require the hpijs
   driver). Usually all printing related operations are
   accessible vie PostScript, and maintenance is best
   dome using the printer's web-interface which all newer
   HP printers have.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke