Process the printjob completely, then print--can it be done?

Dave Frantz imperial_courier at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 12 23:58:07 PST 2007

I have an Okidata B4250 printer on a FreeBSD 7.0 machine running CUPS 1.3.4. The printer can easily print 30 pages a minute. However, when I try to print, it prints far slower than this---the printer has to wait for each page to get laid out by Ghostscript, so printing is a start-stop-start type affair. Is there a way to get CUPS to process the entire print job _before_ printing? Or is there a way to get Ghostscript to process the job faster?