[cups.general] Process the printjob completely, then print--can it be done?

Michael R Sweet msweet at apple.com
Thu Dec 13 09:45:03 PST 2007

Dave Frantz wrote:
> I have an Okidata B4250 printer on a FreeBSD 7.0 machine running CUPS
> 1.3.4. The printer can easily print 30 pages a minute. However, when
> I try to print, it prints far slower than this---the printer has to
> wait for each page to get laid out by Ghostscript, so printing is a
> start-stop-start type affair. Is there a way to get CUPS to process
> the entire print job _before_ printing? Or is there a way to get
> Ghostscript to process the job faster?

If you run "top", is Ghostscript using up the CPU?

More than likely you are bandwidth-limited between the computer and
printer.  From what I can see on Oki's web site, the B4250 only
supports PCL 5e, so Ghostscript (or the corresponding CUPS driver)
will be producing PCL raster data for the printer at about 1MB per
page.