[cups.general] Beginner's problem with authentication policyin1.3.0

Jerome Alet alet at librelogiciel.com
Fri Dec 14 09:59:40 PST 2007

On Fri, Dec 14, 2007 at 09:15:45AM -0800, Chris Smith wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 23, 2007 at 08:37:53AM -0800, John A. Murdie wrote:
> > You can workaround this problem with PyKota already through the
> > 'overwrite_jobticket' directive.
>
> > See pykota/conf/pykota.conf.sample for details on what your script
> > needs to do to be used as a way to overwrite a job's ticket.
>
> Would be nice if there were some more examples of this. Rewriting
> a username based on source IP address would be really helpful. Don't
> need or want to interact with the user otherwise.
>
> I could also look into sending the acceptable username from OS/X
> but I don't know that operating system and pykota could make it so
> much easier.

Beware : PyKota overwrites the job ticket but only as far as PyKota
is concerned. From CUPS' point of view, the song^H^H^H^H^H username
remains the same.
This means that in CUPS' web interface, for example, the printing
history will still be incorrect, and only PyKota's own printing
history will have any meaning (you can easily dump PyKota's
printing history in CUPS' page_log format though, if you want
to use tools like phpPrintAnalyze)

If you want to talk about PyKota specific capabilities, please move
the thread to pykota at librelogiciel.com to not pollute the CUPS' one.
You can subscribe to this mailing list at
http://cgi.librelogiciel.com/mailman/listinfo/pykota

hth,

Jerome Alet