[cups.general] Kerberos printing to SMB printers

Michael R Sweet msweet at apple.com
Fri Dec 14 12:46:06 PST 2007

John Hodrien wrote:
> CentOS 5.1.  I'd checked with ldd that it was there, and then had a poke at
> the code.  I was suspicious of:
>
> krb5-1.6.1/src/lib/krb5/ccache/cc_file.c
>
> It seems to do a mkstemp, then
>
> ret = THREEPARAMOPEN(((krb5_fcc_data *) lid->data)->filename,
>                  O_CREAT | O_EXCL | O_WRONLY | O_BINARY, 0);
>
> Seeing as mkstemp has created the file, that's not going to work is it?

Nope.  That was the first bug.  The other was that there was no
way to get the created credentials added to the cache, leading to
lots of other strange problems (and crashes...)

> Changing that means that it actually bothered to write the cache file (which
> appears to be correct), but then the credential doesn't appear to be
> succesfully used by the smb backend.  Do I have to do something extra to make
> it use it?

So long as the base Kerberos software is broken, there is no way to
make this work...

> I'd tried rebuilding the latest kerberos package for Fedora 8 but that didn't
> behave any differently.

Yeah, I dunno if MIT has released a new Kerberos yet or not with the
fix - look for a krb5_cc_new_unique function...  Alternately you can
use Heimdal Kerberos, which has had this fixed for a long time...