Windows XP printing to CUPS gotcha

Paul Nebeling nebelinp at comcast.net
Sun Dec 16 09:49:27 PST 2007

I spent a few hours figuring this out, so I figured I'd share what I
found and either give some folks a chuckle or save them some time.

I run my printer on a Debian box.  Every other computer is running XP in
one form or another.

I did an update to the Debian box that included CUPS and every computer
in the house stopped printing.  You could print test pages from the web
interface and from the Debian box itself, but not remotely.

To keep a long story short, the problem is that a Windows XP box
printing to a Unix box used the LPD protocol.  CUPS natively uses the
IPP protocol.  Included with CUPS is a nifty little program called that
lets lpd speaking clients talk to it.  This mini-server is normally
called thru inetd.

Somehow, when the update was installed, this program got disabled.  I
pulled out the comment disabling the program and everything started
working again.

Hope this helps.