ubuntu printing to a Samsung scx4725 network printer

J Carerra b7ro-nwa4 at spamex.com
Tue Dec 18 18:15:26 PST 2007

I am not sure how this forum works...it looks different from those I usually use.

Ubuntu 7.1 Gutsy
I used the System>Administration>Printers function to create a printer.  The device URI is: ipp://192.168.1.202:9100.

I put scx4725.ppd obtained from inside a linux driver tar.gz obtained from Samsung site. Did chmod to 644. cupstestppd on it passed.

I put rastertosamsungspl, rastertosamsungpcl, and rastertosamsungsplc into /usr/lib/cups/filter.

I did these things based on two days of reading forums all over, after failing to get results myself.  And it achieved this.  A test page print, or a text document print fail with similar results--a page which says:

POST  /  HTTP/1.1
Expect:  100-continue

and at this line, several lines of garbage printed over each other (no line feed) except at ther very right end is a readable part:
-usEprinter-uri[dnarrow]ipp: (then reaches right margin).

I feel very defeated and would appreciate any comments--assuming I will be able to figure out how to read them at cups.org forums page.