Hacking mime.types

Tim Kelley kelletim at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 06:45:44 PST 2007

> Tim Kelley wrote:
> > I'm having a problem with postscript files generated by a certain application being rejected by cups as invalid (no %%Pages string)
> > This application fortunately also puts its name in the postscript file so they can easily be identified.
> >
> > Can't I put something in mime.types, before postscript, something to the effect of:
> >
> > application/postscript-other  eps string(bytes,"%%Creator: ArcInfo 8.1")
> >
> > and then in mime.convs exclude it from the pstops filter that rejects it?
> >
> > Problem is, I have no idea what to put in the first field there ... the man page says
>
> Use "contains" instead:
>
>      contains(0,2048,"%%Creator: ArcInfo")
>
> Also, use an alphabetically smaller name, e.g.:
>
>      application/arcinfo-ps string(0,"%!") && \
>                             contains(0,2048,"%%Creator: ArcInfo")
>
> Finally, it is best to create a new .types file (and .convs file)
> for your file type, e.g. "arcinfo.types" and "arcinfo.convs".
>
> --
> Michael R Sweet                        Senior Printing System Engineer

thanks Michael, I got it to work earlier (it was "first" in the file, but not in the "sorted list") unfortunately printing raw ignores the tray/media size option which I need (US legal) ... i'm not sure what is happening but pstops is doing something to this file which causes the printer to completely ignore it (no errors, just doesn't print it)