CUPS and redundant print servers

Jesse Feith jesse.feith at aiminvestments.com
Thu Dec 20 07:26:38 PST 2007

> I'm setting up 2 new systems dedicated to CUPS file service - as print
> servers. I want them to both serve the same set of printers, so that if
> one of the servers goes down the other will seamlessly pickup. But, if I
> set BrowseShortNames Yes (default), the printers show up with the server
> names (printer at server) - as documented, meaning that the default
> printers for each user/system does not work. I want the name of the
> printer to be the only identification, and then either server can
> provide the service. Is there a way to configure this?
>
> Thanks
> Bob

I'm new to cups print servers and I've just set something up similar to what you have done. What i did was setup a BrowsePoll to query both my print servers on the clients. I have turned each printserver off and on testing printing when i do that and it seems to send the job to first one that responds. all i did was add this to the config.

cupsd.conf on client:
BrowsePoll <servername>:631
BrowsePoll <servername>:631

you can check the entries in your printcap file.

root at housjs:/ #grep 10khp8150n /etc/printcap | grep houvml
10khp8150n at houvmlcups2.ops.amvescap.net|HP 8150N:rm=housjs:rp=10khp8150n at houvmlcups2.ops.amvescap.net:
10khp8150n at houvmlcups1.ops.amvescap.net|HP 8150N:rm=housjs:rp=10khp8150n at houvmlcups1.ops.amvescap.net:

If you find an easy way to keep your 2 print servers in sync let me know.