CUPS and redundant print servers

Jesse Feith jesse.feith at aiminvestments.com
Thu Dec 20 12:08:22 PST 2007

I think the feature you are refering to is based on staying within the subnet that your print server is on by broadcasting and an automatic discovery of printers on that subnet. If you have printers on other subnets i believe your going to have to use a BrowsePoll method from other cups servers or setup multiple interfaces on your cups server. could be wrong; just trying to help.

Hardcoded - I just used a FQDN and if for some reason needed to change it was just a DNS record and would prevent me from having to change the client on tons of servers. However i had to compile and roll cups into a pkg for mainly a solaris and hp shop; so the config was static and bundled all at once.