CUPS cannot connect to CIFS server but smbclient can

Tom Roberts tjroberts137 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Dec 23 11:00:21 PST 2007

I just installed Fedora Core 8 (replacing FC5), and cannot get my printer to work (it worked in FC5). It is a Canon Pixma MP600 connected to a Windows XP box. I installed the Canon MP600 driver OK.

The problem is that CUPS cannot connect to the CIFS server. The hostname is listed in /etc/hosts; it still fails using //192.168.0.109. The weird thing is that using smbclient and the same user and password I can connect just fine (to either hostname or IP).

When configuring the printer using KDE/Settings/Printers, the "Scan" button for SMB printers never worked. I disabled the FC8 firewall; no success.

How is it that smbclient can connect but CUPS cannot?