CUPS cannot connect to CIFS server but smbclient can

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Sun Dec 23 16:12:29 PST 2007

Tom Roberts wrote:
> I just installed Fedora Core 8 (replacing FC5), and cannot get my
> printer to work (it worked in FC5). It is a Canon Pixma MP600
> connected to a Windows XP box. I installed the Canon MP600 driver OK.
>
> The problem is that CUPS cannot connect to the CIFS server. The
> hostname is listed in /etc/hosts; it still fails using //192.168.0.109.
> The weird thing is that using smbclient and the same user and password
> I can connect just fine (to either hostname or IP).
>
> When configuring the printer using KDE/Settings/Printers, the "Scan"
> button for SMB printers never worked. I disabled the FC8 firewall; no
> success.
>
> How is it that smbclient can connect but CUPS cannot?

Executive summary:

(1) Make sure you have a symlink named 'smb' in /usr/lib/cups/backend/
    pointing to a binary called "smbspool":

       ln -s $(which smbspool) /usr/lib/cups/backend/smb

    Restart cupsd, if you have an older version of CUPS.

(2) Use the backend for a printer named "shared" which is attached to
    an XP PC named "xpbox":

       lpadmin -p your_printername \
               -v smb://xpbox/shared \
               -E \
               -P /path/to/PPD.ppd

    If "xpbox" requires authentication, and is in a different workgroup
    from you, use

       lpadmin -p your_printername \
               -v smb://username:password@workgroup/xpbox/shared \
               -E \
               -P /path/to/PPD.ppd

Read up in "man smbspool"...

(Take note that smbspool is part of Samba, not CUPS.)

--
Kurt Pfeifle
System & Network Printing Consultant ---- Linux/Unix/Windows/Samba/CUPS