[cups.bugs] [LOW] STR #2614: Web interface cannotmodify rawipp:queue

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 17:14:05 PST 2007

Michael R Sweet wrote:
>> CUPS should not only have the attribute local/remote printer but also
>> local/remote driver. A queue automatically created by a remote
>> broadcast is "remote printer"/"remote driver", a queue manually
>> created as a raw queue pointing to a remote CUPS queue via IPP is
>> "local printer"/"remote driver", a queue pointing to a local or
>> network printer, set up with a PPD is "local printer"/"local driver".
>
> There is a "CUPS_PRINTER_DISCOVERED" attribute that could be used for
> this, but we'd still have to somehow update the IPP->CGI mapping to
> distinguish between discovered/auto-created and regular print queues.

Thank you very much, this was really the missing bit.

Now I have system-config-printer correctly handling manually created
queues pointing to a remote CUPS server and auto-generated queues.

But I ended up using the capability of downloading the printers.conf of
the CUPS server via HTTP/IPP, because this method is already used by
system-config-printer to get the full smb:// URIs with passwords.

I have committed the changes in system-config-printer to SVN, rev 1772.

    Till