printing from Windows ->SMB->CUPS: DIN A4 pagelayout is recognized as letter

Fabian Holler nospam at pl.z
Tue Dec 18 02:57:29 PST 2007

Hello,

I'm running Debian Etch, with CUPS 1.2.7-4.
My CUPS printer(don't uses a PPD file) executes an custom backend
script, that does various things with the PS file.
For debug reasons I replaced my backend script with an bash script that
only copies the src PS file from CUPS to another location.

The CUPS printer is shared with SAMBA to Windows Clients, they 're using
the Adobe PS driver (pscript*) + the ghostpdf.ppd from Ghostscript as
printer driver.

If I'm printing an A4 docoument (ie with MS Word) the PageSize in the PS
file is set to letter, printing A3 or A5 documents will be work as
expected, PageSize is set correctly.

I tried to set the default PageSize in the ppd file to another value,
but PageSize from A4 printjobs is still set to letter. It seems that it
won't be recognized correctly.

What could be wrong?

Printing from windows to a file, with the same drivers produces a PS
file with correctly defined PageSize. So I think it must have anything
todo with CUPS.

I would be very grateful for any hints

best regards

Fabian