lpadmin don't add anymore standard options such as landscape

Guy Paressant net at ac-nantes.fr
Thu Dec 27 23:26:55 PST 2007

> Guy Paressant wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I have a problem after the upgrade in 1.3.5 : lpadmin don't add some options when creating a printer.
> > For example, the following command create the printer with the media=A4 option, but "landscape" is ignored :
> >
> > /usr/sbin/lpadmin -p <printer_name> -E -v lpd://axis-lexmark/pr5 -m ljet4-600.ppd -o landscape=true -o media=A4
> >
> > It seems that only driver options (listed by "lpoptions -p <printer_name>" ) are valid ?
> >
> > It was working well before the upgrade (in cups version 1.3.4), for example all these options are added to the printer :
> > "-o landscape=true -o cpi=13 -o lpi=9 -o page-bottom=36 -o page-left=36 -o page-right=36 -o page-top=30 -o scaling=100 -o wrap=true"
>
> No, lpoptions works that way, but not lpadmin.
>
> You can use "-o media=A4" because the media option is mapped to PPD
> keywords (PageSize/PageRegion, InputSlot, and MediaType).
>
> To set default options using lpadmin, add "-default" to the name,
> e.g.:
>
>      lpadmin -p printer -o landscape-default=true -o cpi-default=13
>
> In the case of landscape, however, use orientation-requested-default=4
> instead:
>
>      lpadmin -p printer -o orientation-requested-default=4
>
> --
Thank you for your quick response !
It works like that.
But this syntax should be explained in "man lpadmin", could you add it please, since this syntax MUST be used now in 1.3.5 version ?
I suppose the old syntax was accepted as a backward compatibility, but in the changelog of 1.3.5, perhaps you could talk about this modification ?
Thank you again for your help