[cups.development] [RFE] STR #2642: Inconsistent translations

ronaly agdeppa ronaly at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 22:25:19 PST 2007

[STR New]

I am using cups 1.3.3 and ddk 1.2.3. I also have my own message catalog
(PO). Most of the strings are translated on different locales based on my
message catalogs. But there are few strings that have their own
translations and never get from my message catalog.
For example, "Tray 1", "Tray 2",  "Statement".

First problem:
(ex. in French)
Expected Translations:                   From generated PPD:
Tray 1 - Tiroir 1                        Tray 1 - Bac 1
Tray 2 - Tiroir 2                        Tray 2 - Bac 2
Statement - Statement US                 Statement - Relevé

I understand now that the base translation in the ddk has higher
precedence than the user - supplied translations.

Second problem:
The string "On" has base translations from all locales except Italian.
It does not also get translation from my message catalog now that
translation from ddk is not provided.

Is this a bug in cups ddk?

Could it be possible to set user-supplied translation as higher
precedence? I think for more flexibility it is better.

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L2642
Version:  -feature