Phaser 4500 help

Thomas Kenyon tom at sanguinarius.co.uk
Sun Feb 4 02:27:03 PST 2007

John Oliver wrote:
> I have a Red Hat EL3 Update 8 machine.  On the same network is a Xerox Phaser 4500 laser printer which is handled by a W2K3 print server.
>
> Xerox has a tarball of .ppd files  I downloaded it and copied all of the ones that had to do with 4500s into /usr/share/cups/model/ and restarted cups, but it still doesn't show up in the list of drivers.
>
> What do I need to do to be able to print to this printer properly?

I've used Xerox PPDs with the normal Add printer wizard from the cups
interface. (where it lets you upload them while you are installing the
printer).

 From vague memory I remember that if you are doing this by hand, as
well as copying the PPDs into /usr/share/cups/model you needed to add
text to another file. (that could be with an older version of cups).

Either way, you certainly used to be able to put ppds into
/etc/cups/ppd/ (replace /etc with %sysconfdir) although that may only
work with manually edited printcaps.