[cups.general] printer not connected error

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 04:32:29 PST 2007

tj wrote:
> I just downloaded and installed 1.2.7 and that cured the "Printers" page not displaying problem. But, now I have another problem.
> My printer shows it's state as "idle, accepting jobs, published" and "usb:/dev/usb/lp0", but when I try to print a test page I get "printer not connectd error".
>
> My /proc/bus/usb/devices shows a "Driver=usblp", so I guess my printer is getting into the usb system and I only have one printer.

usb:/dev/usb/lp0 is not supported any more. Run "lpinfo -v" and you will
see a URI containing the printer's model name. Copy and paste that URI.

> So why the "not connected error"?
>
> Also, cupsd went from about 239KB to 1.7MB in size. What a jump!!!

Probably your old cupsd was from a binary package from your Linux
distribution. In such executables the debugging information was removed
from the binary and therefore the files are smaller. You can do this
with your self-compiled cupsd by doing "strip cupsd".

    Till