Printing multiple copies doesn't work

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Wed Feb 7 05:35:54 PST 2007

Daniel Kasak wrote:
> Michael Sweet wrote:
>
>> Daniel Kasak wrote:
>>
>>> After upgrading our server from cups-1.1.23 to 1.2.7 ( I completely
>>> wiped out /etc/cups and started again ), I can't print multiple
>>> copies of documents to any of our printers.
>>>
>>> We are printing from OpenOffice in Linux. Clients also use
>>> cups-1.2.7, and printers are shared via ipp browsing. It used to
>>> work. What can I say?
>>>
>>> I turned on 'debugging' level logging, and copied the error log:
>>
>>  > ...
>>
>> The log indicates that OpenOffice requested only 1 copy...
>>

> I see. I'll try going back to OOo-2.0.4. Thanks for looking at it for me.

I don't think it is a matter of the OOo version. I just installed
OOo 2.1 on Solaris yesterday to look if the printing support has
been enhanced, but no, it hasn't.

Keep in mind that OOo creates PostScript job that violate some of
the DSC in a way that CUPS' pstops filter might severely manglue up
the job, especially things like watermarks (e.g. set upb via defaults
in the PPD) are completely lost. And the numbr of copies is defined
within the PostScript job (as /#copies n def), but no number of
copies is set as a job attribute. Thus the pstops filter assumes only one copy.

I'd suggest to do only raw printing from OOo until they produce
DSC compliant PostScript.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke