capturing postscript temporary data for plain textjob

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Fri Feb 9 17:19:56 PST 2007

> Is it possible to capture postscript temporary data for plain text
> print job? I noticed "PreserveJobFiles Yes" in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf,
> but if I print a plain text job, the only temporary data I can find is
> a plain text file (/var/spool/cups/d00013-001). I'm pretty sure the
> printer received PostScript data (/var/log/cups/error_log indicates
> that "texttops" and "pstops" filters were run), I'm just looking for
> something simpler than trying to cobble together a TCP stream.

Either use the most simple method:

  * put "FileDevice True" into cupsd.conf to enable the simple "print
    to file" backend
  * use something like "-v file:/tmp/cups.prn" to the lpadmin command
    line (if you have an existing printer that you want to debug, use
    "lpadmin -p existingprinter -v file:/tmp/existingprinter.prn" to
    find the the file that normally would go to the printer in the
    /tmp/ dir at the specified file)

Or make it a bit more sophisticated:

  * write your own custom "2file" or "2dir" backend (may be a shell
    script) that does what you need.